GraphQL Schema Design#
Building a brand new GraphQL API? Migrating from a REST API? If you are interested in designing a GraphQL schema that is great to use by clients and stands the test of time, this workshop is for you.
Alternating between presentations and hands on exercices, this workshop will cover:
- Good development workflows to build GraphQL APIs
- Common anti-patterns
- How to build an evolvable schema
- How to approach a migration from another API
- Domain driven design & GraphQL
- How to design errors
- Must-have tooling for building GraphQL APIs at scale
- Many other great practices used in the largest GraphQL APIs out there!
For the exercices, we will only use the GraphQL SDL (Schema Definition Language), meaning you'll get to learn no matter what language you use to build your schema.
Building a GraphQL API with node.js#
Learn how to build a GraphQL API from scratch using Node.js. This workshop is aimed at GraphQL beginners, but you probabyl have built an API server before. We'll go through the basics of building a GraphQL API server, wrap a REST API with it and then connect it to a database.
The following topics will be covered:
- Basics of GraphQL on a server
- Resolver model
- Ways to define a GraphQL schema
- Schema first design
- Evolving the backing data service, without changing the schema
- Wrapping a REST API with GraphQL gateway
- Connecting to a database
Workshop will have an interactive format, where I will livecode, while explaining what I'm doing. There will also be short presentations and non-coding parts, where I will explain some of the advanced concepts.
At the end of the workshop you should be comfortable building a GraphQL API with node.js.
This workshop is only offered as a bundle deal with a conference.
Advanced GraphQL Concepts#
You understood the basics of GraphQL or even worked with it in a production environment? Then this workshop is for you. While GraphQL comes with many benefits it also requires some rethinking. For example how to secure your server from malicious queries or how to give different users access to different parts of the Schema.
We will answer these questions and many more by covering the following topics:
- Rate limiting
- Persistent Queries
- Schema stitching
- API Design
Every topic is covered by a 20 minute presentation followed by a hands on exercise. After every exercise we will briefly glance at a solution and move on to the next topic. For the exercises you can choose the programming language and tools of your choice. Just come prepared with a working GraphQL setup.
To goal is that by the end of the day you are way more comfortable making design decisions for your GraphQL environment.
Let’s Learn GraphQL#
You signed up for this workshop because you are probably super excited about GraphQL and don’t know where to start. That’s exactly why GraphQL Finland has this workshop, so that you can learn some GraphQL before diving into the conference.
Here we will cover:
- Creating A GraphQL Server in Node and connecting it to a MongoDB database
- Using Prisma to easily create a GraphQL server
- Using GraphQL in the Frontend with React for getting data and also for managing local state
- If there is anyone who wants to learn the same concepts in Vue we can go over that too
You will leave knowing the basics of GraphQL and ready to enjoy the rest of the conference and build your awesome API’s and Apps using this amazing technology.
This workshop is free. Tickets would be distributed through a diversity ticket program. Ticket will include a free ticket to the actual conference. Apply for a diversity ticket.